IT SUPPORt specialist Training
IT Support Specialists are a vital role in every organization. Their main goal is to provide technological support to a system’s users, which can be internal and/or external. IT Support Specialists help to manage an organization’s computer systems to ensure everything is running smoothly. They also troubleshoot any issues that may arise for users either within an organization or outside users utilizing an organization’s online services.
Looking to get into the world of tech?
Not sure where to start?
Fill out the form and an Enrollment Advisor will reach out.
How to Become an IT Support Specialist
The IT Support Specialist role is often the first rung on the IT professional world ladder. Luckily, a four-year college degree is not usually necessary to get a job as an IT Support Specialist. You just need technical training and some professional polish to get the job done. Tek Ladder, a 9-week program, gets you on the road to your first job in IT — even if you have zero IT experience. This completely virtual program teaches you:
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office 365
- Networking Fundamentals
- Security training
- How to analyze, document, and present a series of proposed network upgrades
- Plus, we’ll pay for you to take the AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification exam
Tek Ladder also provides professional development, which is especially crucial for those taking their first steps into the professional world. This includes focusing on soft skills such as:
- Interview Coaching
- Job Search Training
- Resume Strengthening
- Time management
- Critical thinking
What does an IT Support Specialist do?
An IT Support Specialist can be synonymous with a Help Desk Specialist. Often, they are the first point-of-contact for user experiencing IT issues, whether they are internal or external. Some of the common responsibilities include:
- Troubleshooting/assisting with a user’s IT issues
- Installing, updating, and overseeing computer software
- Maintaining programs to ensure that systems are running smoothly
IT Support Specialist Interview Questions
Interview preparedness shows your interviewer that you care about this position — you took time to research the company and the responsibilities for this role. Even if your resume is similar to other candidates, preparing for the interview itself will put you a yard ahead of the competition.
For a job in IT, your possible employer will want to know if you have the hard skills for the job, as well as the professionalism, organizational skills, temperament, and personality to fit in with their organization. Some possible interview questions for an IT Support Specialist role include:
- How would you react to receiving multiple IT tickets at the same time?
- What are your steps for solving a difficult customer’s technical issues?
- You have showed a coworker how to connect to the network several times. They continue to ask. How would you resolve this situation?
- How familiar are you with network security?
- Explain a situation in which you were tasked with solving a problem by a previous employer. How were you able to resolve the issue and prevent it from happening in the future?
- How familiar are you with Microsoft Office 365?
Tek Ladder helps prepare you for future interviews by offering Job Search Training to find that amazing new role and Interview Coaching so you nail that interview.
IT Support Specialist Resume Tips
Your possible new employer will want to see that you have the technical skills + professional skills for a job in IT. If you complete the 9-week Tek Ladder course, make sure that your resume highlights your:
- Graduation from IT training school
- AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- Network training
- Security training
- Microsoft Windows training
- Microsoft Office 365 training
- Communication Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
Resume building can be a scary topic, but don’t stress too much — Tek Ladder offers a Resume Strengthening workshop + personalized resume building and editing with one of our knowledgeable Student Advisors.
Future IT Support Specialist Career Paths
As we previously mentioned, the role of IT Support Specialist is often the first rung of the IT professional world ladder. If an IT Support Specialist demonstrates technical skill, reliability, problem solving skills, an openness to learning and developing further, and strong teamwork skills, they can easily move up the ladder to higher-paying jobs, including:
- IT Technician
- IT Manager
- IT Operations Manager
- IT Network Manager
- Cybersecurity Specialist
- Information Security Analyst
WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH TEK LADDER?
Give us a call at (877) 253-3331 or fill out the form. An Enrollment Advisor will be in touch as soon as possible!