Help Desk Technician Training
Help Desk Technicians are crucial to a company or organization’s IT/customer support system. This position is often considered the first point-of-contact for end-users. Help Desk Technicians typically assist and troubleshoot a customer or end-user's technical issues.
Looking to get into the world of tech?
Not sure where to start?
Fill out the form and an Enrollment Advisor will reach out.
How to Become a Help Desk Technician
The Help Desk Technician role is considered an entry-level position at most companies, and is a great way for those starting out in IT to gain experience in a professional setting. A four-year college degree is not usually required by employers, but some form of technical training is preferred.
If you think you want to get started in IT but have little IT background, no problem! Tek Ladder, our 100% online IT training school, gets you prepared for your first step into IT in just 9 weeks, no IT background required. At Tek Ladder, you’ll learn all the IT basics, including:
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office 365
- Networking Fundamentals
- Security Training
- How to analyze, document, and present a series of proposed network upgrades
- Plus, we’ll pay for you to take the AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification exam
We know that landing that job takes more than technical skill. You need that little professional polish to put you ahead of the competition. That’s why we also teach “soft skills”, including:
- Interview Coaching
- Resume Strengthening
- Job Search Training
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
What does a Help Desk Technician Do?
Help Desk Technicians are a helpful and technically savvy bunch with strong communication and problem-solving skills. They are responsible for assisting end-users, whether they are internal employees or, more often, external users. Help Desk Technicians typically use a ticketing system to receive, organize, and respond to users’ technical issues. Help Desk Technicians’ responsibilities include:
- Troubleshooting/assisting with a user’s IT issues
- Maintaining programs to ensure that IT systems are running smoothly
- Answering end-users’ questions about organization, company, or product
Help Desk Technician Interview Questions
A strong interview can put you way ahead of the competition. To impress an interviewer for a help desk role, a job candidate needs to not only have the technical knowledge, but also effectively demonstrate their helpful demeanor and communication skills. Some potential interview questions for a Help Desk Technician role include:
- In your own words, what benefit does a Help Desk Technician role bring to a company?
- Tell us about a time when you had many tasks of equal urgency to complete at once. How did you stay organized?
- Say you’re chatting with a user who is having login issues. Walk us through how you would help them.
- Can you explain your IT education? What was the most valuable thing you learned?
- Tell us about a time when you worked with a difficult customer.
- Explain how you helped them to the best of your ability.
Interviews seem tough, we know, but don’t get in your own head. As long as you come prepared for the interview, you have nothing to sweat. Tek Ladder offers Interview Coaching from our team of experienced Student Advisors to help you prepare for your big interview and let your best qualities shine.
Help Desk Technician Resume Tips
Before you can even secure an interview, you need to start with a strong, polished resume. If you are applying to a Help Desk Technician role, you should be highlighting your skills that pertain to the job, including your:
- Graduation from IT training school
- AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certification
- Network training
- Security training
- Microsoft Windows training
- Microsoft Office 365 training
- Problem solving skills
- Communication skills
- Critical thinking skills
If you’re starting from scratch or you don’t have much IT/customer service experience to beef up your resume, that is okay. After completing the Tek Ladder program, you will have many technical skills you can highlight. Our Student Advisor team will help you strengthen your resume in other areas that may be lacking, such as the interpersonal skills that are so important in a Help Desk Technician role. Our experienced staff will help you buff your resume until it shines.
Future Help Desk Technician Career Paths
The role of Help Desk Technician can be looked at as the first rung on the IT professional world ladder. This role may be considered entry level, but you can gain so much experience from your time in this position. If you demonstrate a strong work ethic, above average technical skill, and an ability to work well with others, you could someday be promoted to higher paying roles, such as:
- Computer Technician
- Information Security Analyst
- Help Desk Team Lead
- IT Manager
- IT Operations Manager
- IT Network Manager
- IT Technician
WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH TEK LADDER?
Give us a call at (877) 253-3331 or fill out the form. An Enrollment Advisor will be in touch as soon as possible!